Saturday 18 July 2015

Another cull

Books taken to the bookswap last week:

We Are all Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Fowler
This was one of the Booker nominees and I can see why. A very good book all through but I won't read it again.

So You Think You're Human
I found this book rather irritating, although I read it so long ago I can't really say why. I seem to remember that it assumed the reader felt to be human was to be somehow special and superior to animals, which is a feeling I don't really have and found irritating to have pasted on me.

A Cab At the Door - V S Pritchett
This is a memoir. I bought it from Slightly Foxed after a recommendation on the Guardian books blog. It was OK but I'd been expecting a lot more from it.

Rome, the Eternal City
Dinky little out of date travel book falling to bits. I got this second hand for my first trip to Rome, but I don't remember where.

The Secret of Chimneys
One of my favourite Agatha Christies as a teen, but I've either read it too often or outgrown it. The characters seem very two dimensional and the plot is agreeably daft. Also I've got it on the Kindle so I don't need hardcopy.

Scales of Justice - Ngaio Marsh
Not a bad one, but not one I will want to reread. I prefer Marsh in a London setting.

The Midnight Circus -  Erin Morgenstern
I know lots of people loved this but I couldn't believe in it. I didn't feel engaged with either of the children being raised to do magic, and the prose felt matter of fact and flat and none of the magic really felt magical. I abandoned it half way.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson
Great fun and interesting to see how America was in the 50s but again I won't reread.

Almost culled but I changed my mind:

The Devil in the White City
How Not to Write a Novel

Rose Garden, Hyde Park

No comments:

Post a Comment