Wednesday 29 May 2024

This does not seem to be mostly a walking blog... pt 1

 ..I have no idea at what point I added that subheading as I've become very bad at blogging about walks. Possibly when I was taking the Grand Union in stages over 10 years ago (a walk I should revisit actually). 

I do quite a lot of walking, some by myself, some usually with one of my aunts and occasionally with my brother - here in London, out in the Midlands, on holiday abroad. This year was my first charity walk though - I did the Royal Marsden South Downs Challenge, which included a lot of hills so was the first walk I've actually done training for. Pasted below is my high tec training schedule. Essentially dates and weeks around the outside, the hills I wanted to do in the space in the bottom left hand corner, then walks/hills done and planned under each week. You can probably tell it's just a page from a maths exercise book and was knocked up in my break at work - I use cheap exercise books at work because I don't feel precious about them and can tear pages out if I need a sign in sheet or they have random personal things like this. 

Exercise books are also good for shopping lists, library lists, bits of short story or drawing if you're bored, 
and using as a coaster (I love my fancy notebooks as well, but sometimes you just need something you can trash). 


The walk itself was glorious if utterly exhausting by the end. I didn't take that many pictures, but here are a few:




 









As you can see we had gloriously sunny weather - early in May, much sunnier than expected.

People have asked me if I'd do it again? I'm not sure. Perhaps I'll feel differently in six months, but at the moment I'd do 15/16 miles of it happily, but it really is very hilly and 26 miles is a little too far.   


No comments:

Post a Comment